Chicken fried rice is a delightful and satisfying dish that effortlessly combines the flavors of tender chicken, fragrant rice, and an array of vegetables and seasonings. Whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight meal or a special treat, mastering the art of homemade chicken fried rice is a culinary skill worth acquiring. In this article, we’ll take you through the steps to create a mouthwatering chicken fried rice that will have your taste buds singing with joy.
The Ingredients: A Palette of Flavors
- Chicken Selection: Start by choosing boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs. These cuts are versatile and easy to work with. Slice them into bite-sized pieces for even cooking.
- Rice: Opt for long-grain rice varieties like jasmine or basmati. Cook the rice in advance and allow it to cool thoroughly. Using cold, day-old rice ensures the best texture for your fried rice.
- Aromatics: The flavor base of chicken fried rice is built on aromatics like minced garlic and grated ginger. These add depth and complexity to the dish.
- Vegetables: Customize your fried rice with a medley of vegetables. Common choices include diced carrots, peas, bell peppers, and sliced scallions. The vegetables not only provide nutrition but also a pop of color and texture.
- Eggs: Scrambled eggs contribute richness and a delightful texture to the dish. Whisk the eggs before adding them to the pan.
- Soy Sauce: A high-quality soy sauce is essential for seasoning the dish. It imparts a savory umami flavor and a beautiful caramel hue to the rice.
- Sesame Oil: A drizzle of sesame oil adds a distinctive nutty flavor that elevates the overall taste.
The Cooking Process: Steps to Perfection
- Preparation: Before you start cooking, ensure that all your ingredients are prepped and ready to go. This includes slicing the chicken, chopping the vegetables, and having the cold, cooked rice on hand.
- Sear the Chicken: Heat a large skillet or wok over high heat and add a bit of oil. Sear the chicken pieces until they are cooked through and have a golden-brown exterior. Remove them from the pan and set them aside.
- Aromatics and Vegetables: In the same pan, sauté the minced garlic and grated ginger until fragrant. Then, add the diced vegetables and cook until they start to soften but remain crisp.
- Egg Scramble: Push the vegetables to one side of the pan and pour in the whisked eggs. Scramble them until they’re just set, then mix them in with the vegetables.
- Rice and Seasoning: Add the cold, cooked rice to the pan, breaking up any clumps. Drizzle soy sauce and sesame oil over the rice. Stir-fry everything together, ensuring the rice is well-coated with the seasonings.
- Chicken Return: Finally, reintroduce the seared chicken pieces to the pan, tossing everything together until heated through.
- Garnish and Serve: Garnish your chicken fried rice with freshly chopped scallions and perhaps a sprinkle of sesame seeds for added visual appeal and flavor.
Homemade chicken fried rice is a delectable and versatile dish that allows you to showcase your culinary skills. With the right ingredients, techniques, and a dash of creativity, you can create a flavorful and satisfying meal that will have your family and friends coming back for seconds. So, don your apron, heat up the pan, and embark on your journey to mastering the art of chicken fried rice.
- 25oz chicken breast, thin sliced and diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon avocado
- oil (or any neutral oil)
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 300g mixed frozen veggies of choice (I used carrots, peas, mushrooms and onions)
- 200g egg whites
- 3 eggs
- 700g day-old cooked rice (300g dry weight)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- Slice the chicken breast thin and dice the chicken into cubes, and then marinate in a bowl with
garlic powder, soy sauce, avocado oil, and sriracha
- Whisk together egg whites and 3 eggs in a bowl until they are fully combined
- Cook the chicken in a pan on high heat in two/three batches for about 2-3 minutes until fully
- Once chicken is cooked through, remove the chicken and place mixed veggies in the pan until
fully softened. When the veggies are done, push them to the side of the pan and pour in the egg
- Cook the eggs until they are scrambled, then mix all of the ingredients together, pour over the
rice, top off with soy sauce and sesame oil, and mix. Mix in cooked chicken, and enjoy