- 4 skinless chicken breast fillets
- 100g/4oz full-fat soft cheese flavoured with herbs and garlic
- 8 slices Parma ham
- 150ml/5fl oz red wine
- 150ml/5fl oz chicken stock
- 25g/1oz Demerara sugar
- Using a sharp knife, make a horizontal slit along the length of each
chicken breast to form a pocket.
- Beat the cheese with a wooden spoon to soften it. Spoon the cheese into
the pocket of the chicken breasts.
- Wrap 2 slices of Parma ham around each chicken breast, and secure
firmly in place with string.
- Pour the wine and stock into a large frying pan and bring to the boil.
When just starting to boil, add the sugar and stir well to dissolve.
- Add the chicken breasts to the mixture in the frying pan. Leave to simmer
for 12–15 minutes until the chicken is tender and the juices run clear.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, set aside and keep warm. Reheat the
sauce and boil until reduced and thickened. Remove the string from the
chicken, and cut into slices. Pour the sauce over the chicken, and serve
hot with a green salad.