- 300g/11oz dried red lentils, picked and rinsed
- 225g/8oz stewing beef, cubed
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 50ml/2fl oz dry white wine
- Bring 1.8 litres/3pt water to the boil in a large heavy saucepan. Add the
lentils, beef, leek, carrots and celery. Return to the boil, then reduce the
heat, cover the pan and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Remove the beef, drain on kitchen paper and brown in the oil in a frying
pan over a high heat. When the pan is very hot, add the onions and sauté
for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir
with a wooden spoon until the flour browns.
- Pour 225ml/8fl oz of the lentil mixture over the onions and stir vigorously.
Add the white wine; cook for a further 1 minute. Tip the contents of the
frying pan into the lentil mixture. Simmer for 30 minutes before serving