- 25g/1oz butter
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 450g/1lb sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into strips
- 1kg/21⁄2lb lean braising steak, cubed
- 50g/2oz plain flour, seasoned with salt and black pepper
- 600ml/1pt beef stock
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150ml/5fl oz red wine
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Cajun spice mix
- Heat the butter in a large heavy casserole dish. Add the onion wedges
and sauté until browned on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and
- Add the celery and pepper to the dish, and cook until softened. Remove
the vegetables with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Coat the meat in the seasoned flour, add to the pan and sauté until
browned on all sides. Add the stock, garlic, wine, vinegar, tomato
purée, Tabasco and thyme, and heat gently.
- Return the onions, celery and pepper to the pan. Tuck in the bay leaves
and sprinkle with the Cajun seasoning.
- Bring to the boil, transfer to the oven and cook for 3 hours or until the
meat and vegetables are tender. Serve with French bread.