- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 350g/12oz beef rump steak, cut into thin strips vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 2 carrots, finely shredded
- 2 spring onions, thinly shredded
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 small fresh red chillies, seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons beef stock
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- Beat the eggs in a bowl with the salt and flour, adding a little water if
necessary to make a batter.
- Add the beef to the batter, and mix well until coated.
- Heat a wok over a high heat, then add the oil and heat until smoking.
Add the beef and deep-fry for 5 minutes, stirring to separate the strips.
Remove with a slotted spoon, and drain on kitchen paper.
- Add the carrots to the wok, and deep-fry to about 1–11⁄2 minutes, then
remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Pour off the excess oil, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the wok. Add the
spring onions, garlic, chillies and deep-fried carrots, and stir-fry for
1 minute. Add the sugar, vinegar, soy sauce and stock to the wok, and
bring to the boil. Stir in the cornflour, and simmer for a few minutes to
thicken the sauce.
- Return the beef to the wok, and stir until well coated with the sauce.