- 500g/1lb 2oz dried chickpeas, soaked in cold water overnight
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
- Drain the beans and put in a
saucepan. Cover with water and
bring to the boil with the carrots,
onion, garlic and 3 tablespoons of
the olive oil. Simmer for 2 hours.
- Add the salt and simmer for a
further hour until the chickpeas are
cooked. Add water if necessary to
keep them covered.
- Drain, reserving the liquid, but
discarding the carrot, onion and
garlic. Serve the chickpeas hot with
a little of the liquid, a teaspoon of
vinegar, the remaining olive oil and
a sprinkling of pepper.