- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh yeast
- 150ml/5fl oz warm water
- 200g/7oz plain flour
- 1 tablespoon ghee or butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50g/2oz unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Put the sugar and yeast in a small bowl or jug together with the warm
water, and mix thoroughly until the yeast has completely dissolved. Set
aside for 10 minutes.
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, making a well in the centre. Add
the ghee or butter and the salt, and pour in the yeast mixture. Mix
thoroughly to form a dough, adding more water if required.
- Place the dough on a floured work surface and knead until smooth.
Return to the bowl, cover and set aside to rise for 11⁄2 hours.
- Preheat the grill to very hot. Turn the dough out on to a floured surface
and knead for a further 2 minutes. Break off small balls and pat them
into rounds about 12.5cm/5in in diameter and 1cm/1⁄2in thick.
- Place the rounds on a greased sheet of foil, and grill for 7–10 minutes,
turning twice and brushing with butter and sprinkling with poppy seeds.