- 450g/1lb dried linguine
- 450g/1lb broccoli florets
- 225g/8oz smoked ham, cut into thin strips
- For the cheese sauce
- 25g/1oz butter
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 250ml/9fl oz milk
- 2 tablespoons single cream
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 50g/2oz Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil. Add the linguine
and broccoli, and cook for 10 minutes until the pasta is al dente. Drain
the linguine and broccoli thoroughly, then set aside and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce. Melt the butter in a non-stick
saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually pour in the
milk, stirring all the time using a wooden spoon. Stir in the cream and
season with the nutmeg, salt and pepper. Simmer the sauce for
5 minutes to reduce, then remove from the heat and stir in the cheeses.
Stir until the cheeses have melted and blended into the sauce.
- Toss the linguine, broccoli and ham in the cheese sauce, then gently
warm through over a very low heat. Divide the pasta among four
serving bowls, and serve immediately