This sunny orange spread is a handy stand-in for butter, great for spreading on toast or drizzling on steamed veggies. Make a double batch to keep on hand for all your buttering needs. Not for baking, this is all about spreading, topping hot veggies,
and dolloping on plain brown rice. Carrots make a beautiful buttery color, as well as add sweetness.
- 2 tsp cold-press corn oil
- ¾ cup/120 g minced shallots
- ½ cup/120 ml Basic
- Vegetable Stock
- 2 tsp cornstarch/cornflour
- 2 tbsp very smooth carrot puree or carrot baby food
- ¼ tsp salt
- In a small frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add
the shallots and stir. When the mixture starts to sizzle, reduce
to the lowest heat and stir every few minutes. Cook until the
shallots are golden and soft, about 10 minutes.
- In a small cup, stir together the stock and cornstarch/cornflour. When the shallots are caramelized and shrunken, stir
the stock mixture and add it to the pan. Stir and simmer until thickened. Stir in the carrot puree and salt and heat through. Remove the “butter” from the heat. If desired, puree it thoroughly in a food processor, or simply use as is. Store, tightly covered, for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.