- 1.8kg/4lb sea bass, gutted, with head and tail left on
- 1 large bunch of spring onions, shredded
- 2 celery sticks, cut into matchsticks
- 5cm/2in piece of fresh root ginger, cut into matchsticks vegetable oil for brushing
- 50ml/2fl oz light soy sauce
- 50ml/2fl oz dry sherry
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wash the fish inside and out, then pat dry thoroughly. Using a sharp
knife, make several deep diagonal slashes on both sides of the fish.
- Pour water under the rack of a fish kettle, and put half of the spring
onion, celery and ginger on the rack. Brush the outside of the fish lightly
with oil, then place over the flavourings on the rack. Sprinkle the
remaining spring onion, celery and ginger over the fish, then the soy
sauce and sherry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the kettle with its lid, bring the water slowly to the boil, then
simmer for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.