- For the batter
- 100g/4oz plain flour
- 75g/3oz self-raising flour
- 25g/1oz caster sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 350ml/12fl oz milk
- 50g/2oz butter, melted
- For the lemon syrup pears
- 175g/6oz caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 125ml/4fl oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 5 firm dessert pears
- zest of 1 lemon, cut into thin strips
- 225g/8oz sour cream
- Sift the flours into a large bowl, add the sugar and make a well in the
centre. Whisk in the combined eggs, milk and butter. Beat untl smooth,
then set aside for 30 minutes.
- To make the lemon syrup pears, combine the sugar, honey, and
350ml/12fl oz water in a saucepan, stirring over a low heat until the
sugar has dissolved. Add the lemon juice, bring to the boil, reduce the
heat and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and core the pears, and cut into wedges. Skim off any
froth from the surface of the syrup mixture, and add the pears. Simmer
for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon zest and
leave to cool slightly.
- Heat a lightly greased 20cm/8in frying pan over a medium heat, then
pour 50ml/2fl oz of the pancake batter into it. Cook for 2 minutes on
each side, tur the pancake with a spatula or palette knife. Continue with
the rest of the batter, greasing the pan when necessary. Stack the
pancakes between greaseproof paper to prevent them sticking together,
and keep warm.
- Strain 125ml/4fl oz of the lemon syrup, and mix with the sour cream to
make a sauce for the pancakes. Strain the pairs to serve.
- Serve the pancakes warm, with some of the pears and a little of the
sauce drizzled over the top. Decorate with strips of lemon zest.