- 100g/4oz wholemeal flour pinch of salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 100g/4oz broccoli florets
- 100g/4oz cauliflower florets
- 50g/2oz mangetout
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 egg whites
- vegetable oil for deep-frying
- For the sauce
- 150ml/5fl oz pineapple juice
- 150ml/5fl oz vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl, and add the cayenne. Make
a well in the flour, and gradually beat in the oil and 175ml/6fl oz cold
water to make a smooth batter.
- Put the vegetables in a pan of boiling water, and simmer for 5 minutes,
then drain well.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form peaks, and gently fold them into the
- Heat the vegetable oil to 170°–180°C/325°–350°F in a deep-fryer (a
cube of bread should brown in 30 seconds).
- Dip the vegetables into the batter, turning to coat them well. Drain off
any excess batter. Fry in batches until golden. Remove with a slotted
spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Meanwhile, put all of the sauce ingredients in a heavy saucepan, and
bring to the boil, stirring, until thickened and clear. Serve with the