- 450g/1lb shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons groundnut oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 fresh red chilli, seeded and diced
- 900g/2lb cleaned and prepared squid, cut into rings
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh
- coriander leaves, to garnish
- In a heavy frying pan over a low
heat, sweat the shallots in the oil for
a few minutes until soft. Increase the
heat and sauté, stirring, until golden
and starting to crisp. Stir in the garlic
and chilli. Sauté for a further
30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Season the squid with salt and
pepper. Toss into the frying pan,
and sauté for 30–45 seconds until
the squid curls.
- Serve immediately, garnished with
the coriander leaves.