- 1.2 litres/2pt round tub of goodquality vanilla ice cream
- 1 Victoria sponge or other plain butter sponge cake
- 4 egg whites
- 75g/3oz caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon raspberry jam
- Freeze the ice cream in the coldest section of the freezer. Cut the sponge
to match the top of the ice-cream tub, then freeze the sponge on a
baking sheet overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C/450°F/Gas mark 8.
- To make the meringue, whisk the eggs whites with an electric mixer to
soft peaks, then increase the mixer speed and gradually add the sugar
until the peaks are firm. Take care not to exceed this point or the
meringue will separate.
- Spread the sponge with the jam. Turn out the ice cream to sit on top of
the jam. Smooth the meringue all over the ice cream with a palette knife,
taking it right down to the bottom edge of the cake to seal in the ice
cream entirely, making sure to leave no gaps.
- Bake in the oven for 4–5 minutes until the meringue is just beginning to
colour. Remove from the oven and serve immediately