- 150g/5oz plain flour
- 25g/1oz icing sugar
- 100g/4oz butter, cubed
- 50g/2oz ground almonds
- 3 tablespoons chilled water
- 700g/11⁄2lb pitted Morello cherries
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- caster sugar for sprinkling
- Sift the flour and icing sugar into a bowl. Add the butter and rub in with
just your fingertips until the mixture is fine and crumbly. Stir in the
ground almonds, then add almost all the water and stir into the flour
mixture with a flat-bladed knife until the mixture forms a dough, adding
the remaining water if necessary.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and gather together
into a ball. Roll out on a sheet of baking parchment into a circle about
26cm/101⁄2in in diameter. Flatten slightly, cover with cling film and
refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6.
- Spread the cherries in the bottom of a greased 23cm/9in pie dish.
- Cover the pie dish with the pastry, and trim the overhanging edge.
Brush the pastry top all over with beaten egg, and sprinkle lightly with
caster sugar. Put the pie dish on a baking tray, and cook for
35–40 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve warm with cream or ice cream